• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:44 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
(On this singular point, if there's an isekai/fantasy with an amazingly-written female cast I'm unaware of, I'd like to know, honestlyーmaybe I should get to watching Frieren finally?)

Adding to the excellent suggestions above, if you want modern isekai, you could try something with an almost all female cast, like The Executioner and Her Way of Life.

If you're open to regular fantasy, check out The Beast Player and the Moribito series by Uehashi Nahoko or their anime adaptations. She's one of the most prominent Japanese fantasy authors living. You might also look for Ogiwara Noriko's Dragon Sword and Wind Child, The Good Witch of the West, and Red Data Girl, although she's gotten significantly less lucky with anime adaptations (Red Data Girl's is the best, but it still ends incomplete).
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:49 am Reply with quote
AQuin1904 wrote:
Adding to the excellent suggestions above, if you want modern isekai, you could try something with an almost all female cast, like The Executioner and Her Way of Life.

If you're open to regular fantasy, check out The Beast Player and the Moribito series by Uehashi Nahoko or their anime adaptations.

I am kicking myself for not immediately thinking of both the first and last examples cited in this post and heartily second both of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah you should also check out Yona of the dawn
Jabootu

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:02 am Reply with quote
Quoth Mami-kouga:

Quote:
The issue for me is that while I can appreciate the episode on its own merits and devoid of past trends I'd even be pretty satisfied with Norn's writing, the existence of said past trends means I can't divorce them from my watching experience. I like Norn, I think she's a good character and overall I think her reconciliation with Rudeus is good and it makes sense for other characters to both compare her to him and to try and help her view him more favourably. However she exists in this story.

I ask this out of curiosity, not out of any sort of aggressive impulse. Why do you watch this show? It seems what you're saying here is that even when there's a storyline you'd like in another show and that you admit is well executed here, you can't enjoy it here because you basically have already developed an implacable animus towards the series. You don't seem alone in this, and I have to admit I don't quite get it. What are you seeking from this show if no matter what it does you will never enjoy it because of what's come before?
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:51 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
Quoth Mami-kouga:

Quote:
The issue for me is that while I can appreciate the episode on its own merits and devoid of past trends I'd even be pretty satisfied with Norn's writing, the existence of said past trends means I can't divorce them from my watching experience. I like Norn, I think she's a good character and overall I think her reconciliation with Rudeus is good and it makes sense for other characters to both compare her to him and to try and help her view him more favourably. However she exists in this story.

I ask this out of curiosity, not out of any sort of aggressive impulse. Why do you watch this show? It seems what you're saying here is that even when there's a storyline you'd like in another show and that you admit is well executed here, you can't enjoy it here because you basically have already developed an implacable animus towards the series. You don't seem alone in this, and I have to admit I don't quite get it. What are you seeking from this show if no matter what it does you will never enjoy it because of what's come before?

You're coming at me in good faith so I'll respond accordingly. That said you've misunderstood my point. I was saying the handling of Norn's plot is good in a vacuum but the existence of other things in the narrative brings it down for me (the fact that the narrative only seems to punish Rudeus when he's completely free of sin, the fact that there's a noticeable uptick in characters mentioning how great Rudeus is, the fact that this is like the 5th female character POV where a female character basically narratively absolves Rudeus,etc.). For a more basic example, the power of friendship isn't a necessarily bad trope but if it's used in literally every single battle in a story you're going to get sick of it right?

As for the question of "Why am I still watching the show", well, I enjoyed season 1? Like, I know the narrative and story can be really good for as much pointless and terrible things that the narrative subjects me to, the affection I had for it has just noticeably dimmed im comparison to the start because I found most of the first cour of this season terrible and while this cour has been a return to form it still hasn't achieved the highs I got out of that first season. That it's getting better means that it probably can though so I'm sticking around.

Also what I feel towards the series isn't implacable animus, I'm critical towards it but even then I can acknowledge the parts I like about it. Well I do have a grudge against the fanbase but that's because they keep lying about Rudeus.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:35 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the thoughtful reply and clarification, Mami-kouga. I have a clearer idea of your views now, and apologize for conflating you with people who seem to be just hate-watching, a thing I really don't understand.

I will say that personally I am far less interested in seeing Rudy getting punished and rather more involved in watching him evolve as a person. Rudy's not a villain, after all, he's a (very) flawed protagonist, slowly becoming a less flawed one. The fact that it's a lifetime journey is part of the draw, not a detriment. It's far more engaging then the more usual "He had an epiphany and now he's all fixed" kind of thing. If it's two steps forward one step back at times, well, as long as the story is convincingly told that's a plus. To the extent Rudy getting punished is part of that process, fine, but I really don't need to see him getting punished just to get punished. I'm not saying your perspective is invalid, but it's not what draws me to the show.

As for thing about how people are calling him great more often...who do you think is doing that who shouldn't? Remember these people live in a far different world and from societies far removed from our sensibilities. To me this is great worldbuilding, but I'd be interested in who you think wouldn't actually be praising him in the show.

I think part of my own personal problem with a lot of criticism--again, not explicitly yours--is that while people very rightly point out how really terrible of a person Rudy has been at times, they kind of ignore the fact that at the same time, at other junctures and in different ways, he's also a great person. He's in most instances kind, he's brave to the point of risking his life to save others, he's (mostly) humble, he's tremendously smart and talented but doesn't throw his weight around, he doesn't hold grudges against people who have wronged him, he's fiercely loyal to people in his circle, etc. At the same time he's selfish and self-involved and, obviously, has been extremely perverted. That tension between the two sides is really what the whole story's about.

At least, that's what makes the show such a classic in my own eyes. I will admit, I basically and unreservedly love this show.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:45 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
Thanks for the thoughtful reply and clarification, Mami-kouga. I have a clearer idea of your views now, and apologize for conflating you with people who seem to be just hate-watching, a thing I really don't understand.

I will say that personally I am far less interested in seeing Rudy getting punished and rather more involved in watching him evolve as a person. Rudy's not a villain, after all, he's a (very) flawed protagonist, slowly becoming a less flawed one. The fact that it's a lifetime journey is part of the draw, not a detriment. It's far more engaging then the more usual "He had an epiphany and now he's all fixed" kind of thing. If it's two steps forward one step back at times, well, as long as the story is convincingly told that's a plus. To the extent Rudy getting punished is part of that process, fine, but I really don't need to see him getting punished just to get punished. I'm not saying your perspective is invalid, but it's not what draws me to the show.

As for thing about how people are calling him great more often...who do you think is doing that who shouldn't? Remember these people live in a far different world and from societies far removed from our sensibilities. To me this is great worldbuilding, but I'd be interested in who you think wouldn't actually be praising him in the show.

I think part of my own personal problem with a lot of criticism--again, not explicitly yours--is that while people very rightly point out how really terrible of a person Rudy has been at times, they kind of ignore the fact that at the same time, at other junctures and in different ways, he's also a great person. He's in most instances kind, he's brave to the point of risking his life to save others, he's (mostly) humble, he's tremendously smart and talented but doesn't throw his weight around, he doesn't hold grudges against people who have wronged him, he's fiercely loyal to people in his circle, etc. At the same time he's selfish and self-involved and, obviously, has been extremely perverted. That tension between the two sides is really what the whole story's about.

At least, that's what makes the show such a classic in my own eyes. I will admit, I basically and unreservedly love this show.

I'm fine with Rudeus evolving even if he's not necessarily a perfect person, I actually did think that the situation with Norn and Aisha was a good show of how his own biases can make him make terrible decisions (that whole classroom scene was such a bad idea especially because it's not like he can just transfer her to another school). I just think Rudeus gets away with being a sex pest way too much for my tastes, the only times he's ever almost held accountable for being weird about women is when the underwear just magically finds its way into his hands for reasons. Season 2 having a scene where he almost has a panic attack for being wrongfully accused of stealing Ariel's underwear when he's still holding on to and sometimes even crying into the pants he stole from Roxy when he was 5 is what I'm talking about. To an extent Rudeus being terrible to women is intentional with his constant comments about Cliff being "disillusioned" by Elinalise and the whole arc with Sara, but also besides Sara it has no affect on his relationship with women and he even has a loving wife who just constantly brushes past it as long as he likes her. It's called out maybe once or twice by the story but otherwise just indulges with it with the people who he harasses either coming around to thinking he's actually the best guy or ever or it's just a quick gag because the author really wants to remind us he was inspired by Rance.

As for the part about the praise, that's a bit of a difficult one. I guess in general it's fine if like one or two characters do it but when almost the entire cast important or otherwise feels compelled to mention that "Man that Rudeus guy is the greatest isn't he" it can feel kind of self indulgent.

I think it's kind of hard to appreciate the ways Rudeus can also be a pretty decent person when we're privy to some of the more heinous shit he does. Like knowing someone donates money to charity 90% of the time is nice but then you hear that every 6 months they randomly kick a puppy for no reason, it just kind of sours the whole thing.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:00 am Reply with quote
Again, thank for the respective and well-reasoned reply. Again, though, I would argue--not forcing the idea, but advancing it--that it's more appropriate to judge Rudy's actions based on the mores of the societies he finds himself living in. I think "no harm no foul" is a precept that is far more accepted in his new world, and that the definition of what constitutes a harm being far more stringent.

For instance, although he surely made a humiliating bad mistakes confronting Nones' class (which he understood once he realized what was going on), there'd certainly be no reason for him to transfer to another school. That the school is entirely laissez faire about bullying has been well established. This school is preparing students to be mages, fighters and to navigate royal politics, roles that will see many of them killed or maimed. I would think they probably consider that if you can't take some bullying you probably shouldn't be there.

As an another example, I think the entire idea of a "sex pest" is something that wouldn't even be an idea in Rudy's new world. That doesn't make it right, but considering how much worse that Rudy could be--he's never demanded sexual favors from Linia or Pursena, even though as the leader of their pack he could--shows that for his time and place Rudy is quite forbearing. Indeed, even after Linia basically told him she'd do anything short of getting pregnant, she clawed him pretty good when he felt her up and he didn't retaliate. Certainly all of us would consider that a fairly low bar, but again, in the world he currently lives in he would have been entirely in his rights to press the issue. By the standards of this world, no doubt, Rudy is quite progressive.

As for Roxie's underwear, she always knew he had them and basically herself took a "boys will be boys" attitude towards it. It's clear that now he--for the first time in either world--is in a happy and positive sexual relationship that the "holy relic" holds more symbolic than prurient power over him.

Also, Rudy usually *has* been punished when he was sex pesty. He regularly got walloped by Eris, and as noted Linia isn't shy about (literally) tearing into him when he takes liberties.
I myself am old enough that I remember when being "handsy" was considered more loutish than criminal. I'm certainly not arguing for that, but again, given the world presented, it would be highly unlikely that they had more enlightened attitudes towards that sort of thing. As for Sylphie "brushing past it," again, I doubt she finds most of his antics all that over the top. This is a world with sex slaves, after all.

I'm not exactly sure what you think was so terrible about his interactions with Sara. To be sure, he (like many of us) made some really awful remarks about her when he thought he wasn't being listened to, but it was clearly when he was completely messed up mentally. So much so that when he realized she had heard him he literally tried to kill himself.

Rudy isn't donating to charity, which is goodness at a remove and without much of a cost save money. Rudy has put himself on the line to save many, many people's lives. Indeed, he risked his life to save the very villagers who kidnapped and debased him. You might think it weird that so many of the characters shrug off Rudy's bad acts, but again, he himself pretty broadmindedly shrugged off the crimes of the village he then saved and made friends with his former persecutors, which is a rather bigger deal then the stuff you're talking about. He spent years working to repair the reputation of Ruijerd's people. He's put himself at the disposal of a woman who earlier was the companion of the guy who literally murdered him, and took it upon himself to tend to her when she was lost. I have to say, I myself think the consequences of Rudy's good acts pretty healthily outweigh his bad ones, if we're just putting them on a scale. I look forward to seeing his journey progress.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:13 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
Again, thank for the respective and well-reasoned reply. Again, though, I would argue--not forcing the idea, but advancing it--that it's more appropriate to judge Rudy's actions based on the mores of the societies he finds himself living in. I think "no harm no foul" is a precept that is far more accepted in his new world, and that the definition of what constitutes a harm being far more stringent.

For instance, although he surely made a humiliating bad mistakes confronting Nones' class (which he understood once he realized what was going on), there'd certainly be no reason for him to transfer to another school. That the school is entirely laissez faire about bullying has been well established. This school is preparing students to be mages, fighters and to navigate royal politics, roles that will see many of them killed or maimed. I would think they probably consider that if you can't take some bullying you probably shouldn't be there.

As an another example, I think the entire idea of a "sex pest" is something that wouldn't even be an idea in Rudy's new world. That doesn't make it right, but considering how much worse that Rudy could be--he's never demanded sexual favors from Linia or Pursena, even though as the leader of their pack he could--shows that for his time and place Rudy is quite forbearing. Indeed, even after Linia basically told him she'd do anything short of getting pregnant, she clawed him pretty good when he felt her up and he didn't retaliate. Certainly all of us would consider that a fairly low bar, but again, in the world he currently lives in he would have been entirely in his rights to press the issue. By the standards of this world, no doubt, Rudy is quite progressive.

As for Roxie's underwear, she always knew he had them and basically herself took a "boys will be boys" attitude towards it. It's clear that now he--for the first time in either world--is in a happy and positive sexual relationship that the "holy relic" holds more symbolic than prurient power over him.

Also, Rudy usually *has* been punished when he was sex pesty. He regularly got walloped by Eris, and as noted Linia isn't shy about (literally) tearing into him when he takes liberties.
I myself am old enough that I remember when being "handsy" was considered more loutish than criminal. I'm certainly not arguing for that, but again, given the world presented, it would be highly unlikely that they had more enlightened attitudes towards that sort of thing. As for Sylphie "brushing past it," again, I doubt she finds most of his antics all that over the top. This is a world with sex slaves, after all.

I'm not exactly sure what you think was so terrible about his interactions with Sara. To be sure, he (like many of us) made some really awful remarks about her when he thought he wasn't being listened to, but it was clearly when he was completely messed up mentally. So much so that when he realized she had heard him he literally tried to kill himself.

Rudy isn't donating to charity, which is goodness at a remove and without much of a cost save money. Rudy has put himself on the line to save many, many people's lives. Indeed, he risked his life to save the very villagers who kidnapped and debased him. You might think it weird that so many of the characters shrug off Rudy's bad acts, but again, he himself pretty broadmindedly shrugged off the crimes of the village he then saved and made friends with his former persecutors, which is a rather bigger deal then the stuff you're talking about. He spent years working to repair the reputation of Ruijerd's people. He's put himself at the disposal of a woman who earlier was the companion of the guy who literally murdered him, and took it upon himself to tend to her when she was lost. I have to say, I myself think the consequences of Rudy's good acts pretty healthily outweigh his bad ones, if we're just putting them on a scale. I look forward to seeing his journey progress.

The transferring thing was more that even if the school is casual about bullying when Norn is obviously lonely, attacking her alleged bullies and then leaving her in a class where everyone will be terrified of approaching her seems ill advised but he wasn't thinking far ahead so I guess that gets a pass.

I disagree completely with the whole paragraph regarding him being a sex pest, if his actions didn't actually matter in the context of the new world then all the moments when characters did call him disgusting wouldn't happen. It's still regarded as off putting in this world he just tends to get a pass because the author thinks it's funny to write. Also he started this whole "pack relationship" by casually groping Pursena when she was tied up just to see if it would make him horny, I don't really believe he wouldn't have taken advantage of the situation if he wasn't temporarily impotent. And most importantly- Rudeus is still a person with the soul of a modern human, he doesn't get a pass for disrespecting women 2% less than the average trash man in this society just because he was a basement dweller before.

The underwear thing can't really be justified to me it's a demeaning thing treated as a joke to the narrative I'm sorry.

Rudeus gets beaten for being a pervert but what lasting damage does that have on any of his relationship with said girls. They beat him and then compliment how great he is until the next time molests them and beats him again. It's just slapstick, it doesn't have any actual lasting effect on his interactions with them and they don't feel unsafe around him despite having every reason to. The arc with Sara is the only time he actually does pay for being shitty about women by loudly talking down about her body with her immediately cutting ties with him tand even then it's a time when he's not "truly" at fault because he was drunk and she was also said something cold as a defense when she thought he wasn't attracted to her. (Also just to clarify I actually think this arc was mostly good as a result of this, it actually successfully tricked me into thinking the ED arc would be much better written than it ended up being. The thing that did ruin it for me was finding out that Sara has a POV chapter in the source to narratively absolve him because of course she does)

Sylphie is a doormat I actually very particularly have numerous issues with her writing and particularly how it pertains to her relationship with Rudeus (the TL;DR is that it has a lot of incel wish fulfillment undertones) but I also do think that some of said doormat tendencies are intentional writing choices.

Our main disconnect is that ultimately you think all the good that Rudeus does should be appreciated more, and there is some nuance to the fact that IRL there are people who you know who did unforgivable things in the past and present can still mean a lot to someone. However he's ultimately a character in the story and I'm a woman who has no patience for unpleasant men being rewarded so his being blessed with a place where he can actually fulfill half of his thought crimes from back when he was a loser who couldn't leave his room is not great. The show struck a decent enough balance with it in season one though, though even putting his sexual harassment aside I have a lot of criticisms for the academy arc even as someone who can enjoy a perfectly good lower stakes character focused arc.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 12:11 pm Reply with quote
That's all fine, it pretty solidly falls under "agree to disagree" territory. On a couple of points, though:

Quote:
The transferring thing was more that even if the school is casual about bullying when Norn is obviously lonely, attacking her alleged bullies and then leaving her in a class where everyone will be terrified of approaching her

I haven't seen any indication that the school culture works that way. And it's equally possible that Rudy calling them out made them realize they should treat more as a discrete person than as "Rudy's sister." The end of the episode indicates she's gaining friends, so again, I think you may be reading things into this that aren't there.

Quote:
The underwear thing can't really be justified to me it's a demeaning thing treated as a joke

OK, but who's being demeaned? Roxie isn't.

Quote:
Rudeus gets beaten for being a pervert but what lasting damage does that have on any of his relationship with said girls.

That's because it's considered kind of tit for tat. In a world where teenagers routinely fight gigantic monsters and often die horribly (or get married off at the age of 12 for political reasons), getting felt up probably isn't very high on anyone's list of the really awful things. The reason it doesn't deal lasting damage to these relationships is that "getting felt up / getting clawed - punched in the face" basically cancels out. You don't have to feel that way, but it certainly makes sense in the world as presented.

And again, Rudy has often by on the other end of this. Remember when Gorilla Girl assaulted Rudy until Fritz interceded? Yet when Rudy sees her later he's pretty friendly towards her. I really think you're applying a bit too much of a modern ethos to things. What's the reason to read about fictional worlds if they're just like ours?

Regarding elements from the source novels, I haven't read them, and if I did I would consider the anime a discrete version of the story anyway. Unless it appears on the show I don't consider it canon. Obviously mileage varies on that one, though.

I don't get the "Sylphie is a doormat" thing at all (and you are certainly not the only proponent of it), considering this is a woman who literally fought off assassins and nearly died do so. I think a lot of people who really want Rudy to be chastised and called out more resent Sylphie for not being their mouthpiece, but that's now who the character is. This gets into the basic realm of whether it's kosher to bring expectations to a show and then criticize it for not meeting them. For myself, the answer is a hard no.

It would a problem if it was out of character for Sylphie not to refrain from criticizing Rudy, but it isn't. And again, and this is meant only as an observation, but saying "it has a lot of incel wish fulfillment undertones" again suggests a personal bias and that you just want a different story than the one the author wrote. That's fine, but again, you can't rationally criticize a story for not going where you want it to go. That falls more into personal preferences than actual objective flaws in storytelling, like internal inconsistences. Personal preferences are quite obviously fine, but they don't present an argument unto themselves.

Still, I really do appreciate anytime I get to have a civil conversation with anyone, so sincerely thank you for that.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh my this is a lot but yeah agree to disagree is definitely the end point of the discussion

Quote:
I haven't seen any indication that the school culture works that way. And it's equally possible that Rudy calling them out made them realize they should treat more as a discrete person than as "Rudy's sister." The end of the episode indicates she's gaining friends, so again, I think you may be reading things into this that aren't there.

You're overreading my point I think. My point is that there's no reality where storming in and taking matters into your own hands like that (especially with how angry Rudeus was to the extent he was even considering fighting her teacher) and leaving her in said situation when he can't be by her side isn't the wisest idea no matter how you slice it especially with how shy Norn was. That she was able to still make friends after doesn't contradict this point because Rudeus did not actually get to go through with what he was thinking of doing. And my main point was that it's fine for Rudeus to make a bad choice based off emotions like that even if it's not smart in long term.

Quote:
OK, but who's being demeaned? Roxie isn't.

If a character being represented by the piece of panties that was stolen from her that she has no knowledge he is still holding onto a decade later like a weirdo isn't demeaning you and I have very different meanings of the word. There were many other things the author could have used to represent Rudeus respect for Roxy that wasn't her literal underwear, it's an act of pure self indulgence.

Quote:
That's because it's considered kind of tit for tat. In a world where teenagers routinely fight gigantic monsters and often die horribly (or get married off at the age of 12 for political reasons), getting felt up probably isn't very high on anyone's list of the really awful things. The reason it doesn't deal lasting damage to these relationships is that "getting felt up / getting clawed - punched in the face" basically cancels out. You don't have to feel that way, but it certainly makes sense in the world as presented.

It's a narrative crafted by the author. There does exist characters who have been affected by sexual violence and Roxy hated her time with the pervert prince so much that she eventually left him. The only reason why it's made to not matter is because the narrative wants to have its cake and eat it too.

Quote:
I don't get the "Sylphie is a doormat" thing at all (and you are certainly not the only proponent of it), considering this is a woman who literally fought off assassins and nearly died do so. I think a lot of people who really want Rudy to be chastised and called out more resent Sylphie for not being their mouthpiece, but that's now who the character is. This gets into the basic realm of whether it's kosher to bring expectations to a show and then criticize it for not meeting them. For myself, the answer is a hard no.

I don't expect Sylphie to be my mouthpiece for Rudeus but she's perfectly written to a character who completely indulges him in a way that's more insidious. She defends his honour against the "crazy girls" who accused him of being a panty stealing pervert (a thing he is just not in the context of that particular situation), her priority whenever he seems to be involved in harassment of women is to just sigh in relief when he explains that he's actually not "really" into the girls he may or may not have harassed, the way the show writes her virginity and how she offered it to Rudeus to "fix" his "disease" punctuated by Rudeus cutting of her hymen blood to also enshrine it is just barf inducing. I was fine with her when she was just the generic nice childhood friend but since she returned she's turned into something incredibly unpleasant to me. If she's being written as weak willed pick me on purpose I'll give Rifujin some props because he's certainly nailing it, but if I'm wholeheartedly meant to think this is all the behaviour of an ideal girl with no deeper analysis it's just another issue. Just to clarify I do think that taking era and setting of a story into account is important, a story like the currently airing Yatagarasu and Kusuriya from the previous season wouldn't work otherwise. I don't think Sylphie needs to be a girl boss to be good and I've liked a lot of other characters who are intentionally written as doormats (like Tohru Honda from fruits basket) just to clarify.
That said despite the disagreements this is still the most peaceful discussion I've had with a fan of the show that likes Rudeus
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the MLK comparison has come up regarding this series before, and like last time, I ask that we just...do not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Ep18-And you guys say with dread that any "Turning Point" in MS is a harbinger of disaster...This one isn't and in fact will have a good end if some manga spoilers are to be believed...
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 4:26 am Reply with quote
This arc has felt like the perverted version of the Brady Bunch. It’s also been rather slow burning (which is fine at times, but it felt like it didn’t belong here). I’m also curious as to why it would take Rudeus an entire year to reach his destination when he has such an enormous amount of mana. He literally could ride a tidal wave of the ground across the continent and then use water to reach the next continent. Seems like this would help him get there in half the time at least.

Also, I assumed spoiler[that when the Human-God told Rudeus to get with one of the two beast girls during the next mating season, this would somehow lead Rudeus back to Eris who I’m assuming is still with Ghislaine in Doldia.]
Jabootu

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 6:05 am Reply with quote
First, I sincerely apologize to Mami-kouga for the late response, after she took the time and energy to engage in this discussion with me. When I returned home on Friday I learned that a power box next to my place had burned out, and it still hasn't be repaired. So I had no computer to answer with.

Quote:
You're overreading my point I think. My point is that there's no reality where storming in and taking matters into your own hands like that (especially with how angry Rudeus was to the extent he was even considering fighting her teacher) and leaving her in said situation when he can't be by her side isn't the wisest idea no matter how you slice it especially with how shy Norn was. That she was able to still make friends after doesn't contradict this point because Rudeus did not actually get to go through with what he was thinking of doing. And my main point was that it's fine for Rudeus to make a bad choice based off emotions like that even if it's not smart in long term.

I agree, and indeed, the scene itself clearly presented Rudy as being in the wrong. It’s another mistake he makes, and again, he clearly takes it to heart and tries to learn from it. When he visits Norn just a bit later, he has already learned to put aside assumptions drawn solely from his own personal history in dealing with her. Instead for the first time he puts himself in the shoes of the brother who tried to help him. This empathy, which has been growing in him, allowed him to communicate his feelings to his own sister and assuage her fears.

If a character being represented by the piece of panties that was stolen from her that she has no knowledge he is still holding onto a decade later like a weirdo isn't demeaning you and I have very different meanings of the word. There were many other things the author could have used to represent Rudeus respect for Roxy that wasn't her literal underwear, it's an act of pure self indulgence.

Well, to further clarify my thoughts, I have to admit that I take words pretty literally. So, yes, we do have very different meanings of the word demean. To demean someone is to diminish them, usually in their own eyes or possibly in the eyes of others. From this standpoint, the only one who could possibly be considered demeaned by stealing Roxie's panties is Rudy himself.

Roxy in no way feels diminished by Rudy stealing her panties, and no one else thinks less of her either. If anything, she thinks it’s kind of funny. I personally know women that would react the same way, especially if the panties were taking by a young kid. (Yes, Rudy was intellectually not a kid, but clearly he was emotionally still a young kid.)

It seems to me you from your last comment that you just want the author to write a more orthodox, ‘cleaner,’ less complicated main character. The fact that he didn’t is exactly what makes the material so rich. They’re plenty of stuff like that out there, so surely it’s not necessary for this one particular work to conform to, let’s admit, some pretty rigid and stifling social conventions. There’s a reason there are nearly a 1000 comments on this forum while many other good shows have only 10 or 20.

It's a narrative crafted by the author. There does exist characters who have been affected by sexual violence and Roxy hated her time with the pervert prince so much that she eventually left him. The only reason why it's made to not matter is because the narrative wants to have its cake and eat it too.

Am I reading this incorrectly, or are you comparing stealing a pair of panties with a constant campaign of literal sexual assaults? No offense, that’s just...untenable. If I punch a guy in the nose that doesn’t equate me to a serial killer. And Roxy more left because she was perennially annoyed by the Prince than that she “hated” the situation or was “affected by sexual violence.” And yes, the vast majority of women, especially in the real world, would have been so affected. None of these real life women, though, fight literal monsters for a living. Roxie can take care of herself. Indeed, when the downside outweighed the upside she just split. Chances are she never gave the Prince another thought ever again.

As for your ongoing assumptions of authorial intent, well, they are only assumptions. More to the point, even if your assumptions are correct, so what? He’s more that entitled to write anything he wants and then each of us has the right to think what we think about it. I'm not arguing with your reaction to the work, but I have to say it's probably not a great idea to then just blithely assume authorial intent. I have to say, with all due respect, that your views strike me as quite reductivist for such a complex, nuanced work.

Quote:
I don't expect Sylphie to be my mouthpiece for Rudeus but she's perfectly written to a character who completely indulges him in a way that's more insidious. She defends his honour against the "crazy girls" who accused him of being a panty stealing pervert (a thing he is just not in the context of that particular situation)…

Or in any situation, save one. He stole Roxie's panties like ten years earlier, before growing up, and it’s not like he has a long, storied career of stealing panties. (That would be Kazuma.) Also, she defended him because she herself dropped the panties out the window and knows Rudy didn’t take them. She wasn’t making assumptions, she was literally in the instance you cite keeping a bunch of people from delivering a very severe beating to a person who was completely innocent of what they were accusing him of. In that case, I’d say “crazy girls” is a pretty accurate description. (Not to mention the fact that Rudy could have easily saved himself by wiping the floor with the lot of them, which he would have been entitled to do but didn’t, instead enduring some duress while hoping for a peaceful solution.) What they were doing is far worse than, say, Rudy terrorizing Norn’s classmates under the assumption they were bullying her, because his first resort was not to violence. And what Rudy did was still pretty bad.

Again, this partly may be due to a different understanding of what a doormat is. To me a doormat is, well, literally a doormat. Someone who lets someone walk all over them. Rudy never walks over Sylphie. He loves her as much as she loves him, and he’s as devoted to her as she is to him. And you’re of course entitled to your view of Sylphie, but I think you would recognize that this puts you much in the minority. Most viewers absolutely adore her, which we wouldn’t if she were the pathetic weakling you’re describing. She is as strong in her own was as Eris is, and that’s why she has many people in her camp as Eris does. Or Roxie does. Really, this show has a phenomenal cast of female characters.

I too appreciate the peaceful tone of our discussion. So again, thank you. I remember a day, being an older fellow myself, which peaceful, in-depth discourse between people who disagreed was the norm. I think society would be a healthier place if we got back there again.

If I may further clarify anything I’ve left muddled, please let me know. Otherwise…we have a whole new Turning Point to discuss!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 65 of 66